Juliusz Gonera wrote:
>We've been having a hard time making photo uploads work in
>MobileFrontend because of CentralAuth's third party cookies problem (we
>upload them from Wikipedia web site to Commons API). Apart from the
>newest Firefox [1,2], mobile Safari also doesn't accept third party
>cookies unless the domain has been visited and it already has at least
>one cookie set.
>
>Even though we have probably found a solution for now, it's a very shaky
>and not elegant workaround which might stop working any time (if some
>detail of default browser cookie policy changes again) [3].
>
>I came up with another idea of how this could be solved. The problem we
>have right now is that Commons is on a completely different domain than
>Wikipedia, so they can't share the login token cookie. However, we could
>set up alternative domains for Commons, such as commons.wikipedia.org,
>and then the cookie could be shared.
>
>The only issue I see with this solution is that we would have to
>prevent messing up SEO (having multiple URLs pointing to the same
>resource). This, however, could be avoided by redirecting every
>non-API request to the main domain (commons.wikimedia.org) and only
>allowing API requests on alternative domains (which is what we use for
>photo uploads on mobile).
>
>This obviously doesn't solve the broader problem of CentralAuth's common
>login being broken, but at least would allow easy communication between
>Commons and other projects. In my opinion this is the biggest problem
>right now. Users can probably live without being automatically logged in
>to other projects, but photo uploads on mobile are just broken when we
>can't use Commons API.
>
>Please let me know what you think. Are there any other possible
>drawbacks of this solution that I missed?
>
>[1] http://webpolicy.org/2013/02/22/the-new-firefox-cookie-policy/
>[2]
>https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Site_Compatibility_for_Firefox_22
>[3] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/54813/

Hi Juliusz,

Please draft an RFC at <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/RFC>. :-)

commons.wikipedia.org already redirects to commons.wikimedia.org (for
historical reasons, maybe), so that has to be considered. I think what
you're proposing is also kind of confusing and I'm wondering if there
aren't better ways to approach the problem.

A good RFC will lay out the underlying components in a "Background"
section, the problem you're attempting to solve in a "Problem" section,
and then offer possible solutions in a "Proposals" section. Variants on
this also usually work.

MZMcBride