On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> commons.wikipedia.org already redirects to commons.wikimedia.org (for
> historical reasons, maybe), so that has to be considered. I think what
> you're proposing is also kind of confusing and I'm wondering if there
> aren't better ways to approach the problem.

The proposal is to continue to redirect everything *except* API
requests, but to allow the API requests to complete and run as though
they were requested on commons.wikimedia.org.

This would create a new local session cookie on commons.wikipedia.org
based on the *.wikipedia.org CentralAuth session cookie, but this
should be harmless (roughly equivalent to logging into Commons on two
browsers at once).

Of course, in order to use the same functionality on Wikisource,
Wikiversity, Wikivoyage, mediawiki.org etc we'd need similar alternate
commons subdomains under those domains.

-- brion