On 7/22/13, Ryan Lane <rlan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM, James Forrester
>> <jforres...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
>> >
>> >  It would imply that this is a preference that Wikimedia thinks is
>> > appropriate. This would be a lie. For a similar example, see the removal
>> of
>> > the "disable JavaScript" option from Firefox 23.
>> >

>> You still haven't explained why this preference is inappropriate.
>>

> This is slightly off topic, but removing that preference from firefox is a
> great idea. It's only used properly by power users, who would be able to do
> the same in about:config, or via noscript, or will add an extension to do
> it. That preference is almost always incorrect set by users who don't know
> what they are doing and it leads to a broken browser experience.
>
> Maybe there's a comparison to be made, but there's not really a simple way
> to disable VE in MediaWiki other than by having a preference.
>
> Assuming a proper implementation of edit/edit source I'm not sure what the
> big deal is, but I'm not a hardcore editor so I'm likely just not seeing it.
>
> - Ryan

Offtopic, but I think a good comparison could be made to the (former)
"external-editor" preferences. Anybody who actually used the external
editor feature did not use the preference. Many people accidentally
selected the preference and totally screwed everything up.

</utterly offtopic aside>

--bawolff