On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Tyler Romeo <tylerro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM, James Forrester
> <jforres...@wikimedia.org>wrote:
> >
> >  It would imply that this is a preference that Wikimedia thinks is
> > appropriate. This would be a lie. For a similar example, see the removal
> of
> > the "disable JavaScript" option from Firefox 23.
> >

> You still haven't explained why this preference is inappropriate.

This is slightly off topic, but removing that preference from firefox is a
great idea. It's only used properly by power users, who would be able to do
the same in about:config, or via noscript, or will add an extension to do
it. That preference is almost always incorrect set by users who don't know
what they are doing and it leads to a broken browser experience.

Maybe there's a comparison to be made, but there's not really a simple way
to disable VE in MediaWiki other than by having a preference.

Assuming a proper implementation of edit/edit source I'm not sure what the
big deal is, but I'm not a hardcore editor so I'm likely just not seeing it.

- Ryan