On 2013-09-17 2:29 AM, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On 17/09/13 10:24, K. Peachey wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Gabriel Wicke <gwi...@wikimedia.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There *might* be, in theory. In practice I doubt that there are any
>>> articles starting with 'w/'. To avoid future conflicts, we should
>>> probably prefix private paths with an underscore as titles cannot start
>>> with it (and REST APIs often use it for special resources).
>>>

>> I bet people have said that about single letter interwikis, but we do
>> have
>> quiet a few "<single letter>:" page titles around. have "<single
>> letter>/"
>> is not un-believable.
>
> I have found 2476 pages in English Wikipedia that start with
> '[something]/', inlcuding pages starting with '//'. None of them start
> with a small letter though, for obvious reasons.
The problem with that query is you're searching Wikipedia. Try
Wiktionary instead. I found 5 just on the first letter I tested
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/a/

Also pages prefixed with "<single letter>/" aren't the only thing that
creates conflicts. As far as standard rewrite rules and webservers are
considered a directory at /a/ and /a are the same thing. See how
https://en.wikipedia.org/w is not a 404 pointing to [[w]] like
https://en.wikipedia.org/a is but instead is the same as w/ and hence
w/index.php. So really any single letter article on a root pathed wiki
conflicts with any single letter root directory. ;) And Wikipedia has a
redirect like that for every single letter of the latin alphabet.
(Actually forget the latin alphabet, they've practically got most of
Unicode there)

Side topic https://en.wiktionary.org/w/r/t is messed up: " To check for
"r/t" on Wikipedia, see: //en.wikipedia.org/wiki/r/t
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/r/t>"