On Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:11:16 -0700, Brion Vibber wrote:
> Question for the group:
>
> Would an officially supported general-purpose MediaWiki hosting service be
> useful to people who would like to run wikis, but don't have the time,
> expertise, or resources to maintain their own installation?
>
> If so, what can we (as interested parties in MediaWiki development and use)
> do to make this happen?
>
> -- brion
This topic and some of the stuff I've been reading (Google App Engine's
PHP docs, various AWS docs, etc...) has brought up a few new additions
to my old ideas around wiki hosting, especially my old self-serve idea.

Reading the AWS docs also gave me the thought of a wiki host run on AWS
with load balancers, auto-scaled servers (the source of the wiki code in
some object store or something not dependent on a server's filesystem),
and the job queue in SQS using spot-instances occasionally to chew
through the job queue by temporarily spawning a normally expensive
server at a cheap price.