On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:21 PM, Erik Moeller <e...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Chris Steipp <cste...@wikimedia.org>
> wrote:
> >> To satisfy Applebaum's request, there needs to be a mechanism whereby
> >> someone can edit even if *all of their communications with Wikipedia,
> >> including the initial contact* are coming over Tor or equivalent.
> >> Blinded, costly-to-create handles (minted by Wikipedia itself) are one
> >> possible way to achieve that; if there are concrete reasons why that
> >> will not work for Wikipedia, the people designing these schemes would
> >> like to know about them.
>
> > This should be possible, according to
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/NOP,
> > which Nemo also posted. The user sends an email to the stewards (using
> tor
> > to access email service of their choice). Account is created, and user
> can
> > edit Wikimedia wikis. Or is there still a step that is missing?
>
> I tested the existing process by creating a new riseup.net email
> account via Tor, then requesting account creation and a global
> exemption via stewa...@wikimedia.org. My account creation request was
> granted, but for exemption purposes, I was requested to go through the
> process for any specific wiki I want to edit. In fact, the account was
> created on Meta, but not exempted there.
>
> The reason I gave is as follows:
>
> "My reason for editing through Tor is that I would like to write about
> sensitive issues (e.g. government surveillance practices) and prefer not
> to be identified when doing so. I have some prior editing experience, but
> would rather not disclose further information about it to avoid any
> correlation of identities."
>
> This seems like a valid reason for a global exemption to me, so I'm
> not sure the current global policy is sufficient.

I use an anonymous encrypted VPN when accessing the Internet from home, and
found myself unable to edit on en.wp. I requested IPBE
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Nathan&diff=572887054&oldid=568388651>
and
was initially denied because I was able to turn off the VPN to edit.
Exemption was only granted because an administrator familiar with me was
watching my talkpage and stepped in.