On 02/15/2014 09:54 PM, Ryan Kaldari wrote:
> Now that I've blamed everyone except for myself, I would like to suggest
> that we stop pointing fingers and get down to brass tacks.
>
> My question for both the designers and the free font advocates is: Are
> there any free fonts that are...
> 1. widely installed (at least on Linux systems)
> 2. easily readable and not distractingly ugly
> 3. would not be mapped to by the existing stack anyway (i.e. are not simply
> clones or substitutes for popular commercial fonts)

I have been very happy with the crisp rendering and screen-optimized
shape of DejaVu Sans selected as the default sans-serif font on Debian
Linux. At a given size it is about as readable as Verdana while looking
(to my eyes at least) more elegant.

DejaVu Sans has a fairly good unicode coverage by itself, and in my
limited experience fontconfig picks good other fonts for rare scripts. I
have not seen any tofu on Linux in a long time.

The rendering of the font refresh beta on my Linux box seems to be
Helvetica without subpixel rendering (blurry), which is a real
regression from the status quo.

I am not entirely sure that there is actually a problem to solve on an
average Linux desktop installation, but am willing to be convinced
otherwise with a documentation of the issues encountered.

Some of the limitations you are trying to address seem to be
platform-specific. Could we address those in a targeted way without
making things worse for other platforms?

Gabriel