I took a closer look at Linux Libertine for possible use as a webfont for
headers. Linux Libertine is a "classic" serif font that would match the
character of the site (i.e. it looks "encylopedic"). It has a wide
character coverage (over 2000 characters) and support for most ligatures.
It even has its own bug tracker (
http://sourceforge.net/p/linuxlibertine/bugs/). It's only shortcoming is
that it has an install base of pretty much no one.

Unfortunately, the WOFF file for the base font (not including bold, italic,
etc.) is 516K which is way too large to use as a webfont. I imagine this is
due to the font's character coverage. One option would be for us to fork
Linux Libertine, reduce the character coverage (for example, it's very rare
to need math and symbol glyphs in headers), and see if we can get it small
enough to try delivering as a webfont. This is probably not something we
could do immediately, but I think it's an idea worth looking at. Another
option would be seeing if we could convince some major Linux distros to
include it as a default font.

As far as it's aesthetic qualities (cover your ears, devs), it has been
positively reviewed by several design sites.[1] Apparently the font
designers put so much work into tweaking the kerning that it would cause
some older word processors to run out of kerning memory! You can see
samples of it here: http://www.linuxlibertine.org/index.php?id=86&L=1.
The

[1] See sidebar at http://www.linuxlibertine.org/index.php?id=2&L=1

Ryan Kaldari