On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM, Greg Grossmeier <g...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> <quote name="Federico Leva (Nemo)" date="2014-02-15" time="22:52:31 +0100">
> > And surely, before WMF/"MediaWiki" tell the world that no free fonts
> > of good quality exist, there will be some document detailing exactly
> > why and based on what arguments/data/research the numerous free
> > alternatives were all rejected? Free fonts developers are an
> > invaluable resource for serving Wikimedia projects' content in all
> > languages, we shouldn't carelessly slap them in their face.
>
> I just skimmed the entire thread again, and yes, this has been requested
> a few times but no one from the WMF Design team has responded with that
> analysis (or if would respond with an analysis). The first time it was
> requested the person was told to ask the Design list, then the next
> message CC'd the design list, but no response on that point.
>
> I don't see much on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Typography_refresh
> nor it's talk page. Nor
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Design/Typography
>
> cc'ing the Design list :)

Update on this: after discussing with Greg, Jared, etc. I've edited
wikitech Deployments calendar to reflect a longer term goal of mid to late
March at the earliest.

The calls from Greg, Kaldari, Nemo and others for better documentation are
100% correct, and it's something we should do before we move to merge
anything from the typography refresh in to Vector proper. There's a better
FAQ and more in development by the design team, but getting that out and
properly translated in just a week is not realistic. Overall the continued
discussion on Wikitech-l suggestions to me that doing this by the 27th
would be a rush job.

Note that there was a small update to the feature on Friday, which removed
the max-width restriction and tweaked some padding. I'd encourage anyone
who hasn't tried the beta feature in a few weeks to give it another shot.
We'll update Typography Refresh and the accompanying Talk page on
mediawiki.org accordingly.

Thanks,

--
Steven Walling,