Rainer makes a few good points. This is not just another weekly
software update, this is a high profile interface change. The
discussion Max linked to did not have the same scope. And the site
notice is just point A in a set of three sensible suggestions.
I've followed the development of the Media Viewer and am very happy
with how it turned out. On the other hand I can understand that it may
pose a disruption in the established workflows of power users.
I don't think we should paddle back now though. What we could offer on
commons is a banner with a two buttons. One to dismiss the banner, and
one to dismiss the banner and deactivate the media viewer (we have the
technology for one-click gadget (de)activation already).
I'd hate for a negative opinion to build on media viewer because of
that. I'm convinced it is a necessary and modern UI that is adequate
for most of our end users.
Daniel