Jon, here's what I posted last week. It's possible that you missed it
because I didn't post it as a reply to you...

The Flow team is going to work in a few weeks on automatically archiving
talk pages, so that we can enable Flow on pages where there are already
existing conversations. Basically, this means moving the old discussions on
an archive page, and leaving a link for "See archived talk page" visible on
the new Flow board.

That means there'll be a minute where a currently active discussion would
get interrupted, and have to be restarted on the new Flow board. That will
be a pain, but it would only be a one-time inconvenience during that
transition moment.

The team's goal for LiquidThreads transition is essentially the same --
turning the existing conversations into a form that we can archive, and
preserve for the future. If we tried to turn ongoing LQT discussions into
ongoing Flow discussions, we'd actually be spending more development time
on archiving the deprecated feature than we would spend on archiving wiki
talk pages.

There's a few more big features for Flow that we're working on this summer;
we'll have some new things to show off pretty soon.