On 09/07/14 10:38, Quim Gil wrote:
Siebrand and Kartik have been selected to participate in the GSoC Reunion o
behalf of Wikimedia.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Mentorship_programs/Possible_mentors#Delegates_for_Google_Summer_of_Code_Reunion

Reasoning pasted here for your convenience:

Hi, after looking at
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Mentorship_programs/Possible_mentors
the list of possible mentors attending the GSoC Reunion, we have decided:

* Mentor 1 will be siebrand <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Siebrand>.
He has been helping in outreach programs for a long time and in different
ways. He was also the only one submitting his request on time.
* Mentor 2 will be KartikMistry
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:KartikMistry>, since he is mentor of
two different orgs this year, and (afaik) he has been a mentor in previous
editions.

Also, Google will pay their flights from far far away. Legoktm
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Legoktm>, I hope you understand and
share the reasoning. Your request for this year has been recorded and it
will help you being select next year, if you apply as well.

Interesting that these are two translation folks, and nothing from the wider development community. I'm sure they're lovely people, but I must say this doesn't represent our diversity very well.

I know it's too late now, but considering most of us probably never even saw or considered the initial request as it was tucked away into another email about something else, in the future it might help to send out a separate email for these things, and if it comes to it, include a new deadline in the reminder (otherwise the decision comes as a complete surprise), too.

Personally I never even considered it because as a new mentor it didn't seem very appropriate for me to want to go ('delegate' is a very strong word), but more on what it would have actually entailed in the email itself would probably have helped others, too.

-I