The main reason our captcha is easy for bots to bypass isn't because it's
easy to read (it's not); it's because it works the same way as 90% of other
captcha's on the internet. So if you're a spam-bot writer, all you have to
do is download one of the dozens of generic captcha-breaking programs on
the internet and point it at Wikipedia. I imagine about half of them would
be able to break our captcha out of the box. We could deter the majority of
spam-bots just by having a unique type of captcha. And it doesn't have to
be one that is difficult for humans to solve, just one that would require a
halfway significant investment for a programmer to solve. In other words, I
don't think that making our captcha easier necessarily means getting more
spambots. We just have to jump out of the existing captcha design
band-wagon. Here are some ideas:

1. Show an animated GIF of a scrolling marquee that reveals a word
2. Show an animated GIF that sequentially unblurs the letters in the
captcha (from an initially totally blurred state) and then reblurs them in
a cycle
3. Show three words in different shades of grey and ask the user to type
the darkest word (too trivial?)

Surely we can come up with a creative idea that is:
* Easy for humans to solve
* Can't be solved by out-of-the-box captcha breakers
* Isn't trivial for programmers to solve

Kaldari