Hi, I think Conpherence helps onboarding new contributors with profiles
different to the rather homogeneous profile predominant in our technical
communities (and well represented by the sample of people active in this
thread and in the related Phabricator task -- myself included).

I invite you to go beyond the 'yet another tool' initial reaction and think
of the reasons beneath its election. It's an interesting and rather deep
discussion about the usefulness of cozy private spaces for a diverse range
of newcomers while they gain the skills and confidence to dive into our
public channels. More on this at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T91392#1264689

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:02 AM, Alex Monk <kren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I prevent people from contacting me via this?

As of today, there is no way, just like there is no (sane) way of
preventing unknown people from contacting you via email or IRC. You can
point them to the right channels, point them to
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Phabricator/Help#Appropriate_uses_of_Conpherence
, or simply ignore them.

If someone wants to create a task for this request, we can discuss it in
more detail there. I expect it to be less simple than it sounds, though.
Removing a "Send Message" button from a user profile is simple, but things
get more complicated when thinking of the details.

On 6 May 2015 at 03:33, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> > Initial pain points/oddities:
> >
> > * the conversations/threads don't auto-refresh

In theory they should, but there are some bugs identified upstream, and
maybe our own instance needs fine-tuning. See
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T97650

> > * every message triggers a separate e-mail notification by default

You can set web notifications only --
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/settings/panel/conpherence/

> > * messages can include fancier formatting, but it wasn't apparent how to
> >   preview a message before sending

Yes, this is a feature missing. I discussed it with the Phabricator
maintainers months ago and they said that it was just legacy (Conpherence
being developed before the preview feature). I have created
https://secure.phabricator.com/T8088