Just to clarify a few points: I support the concept of having a global
friendly spaces policy. I'm ambivalent and reluctant when it comes to the
particular proposal that we're discussing here. And I think that we should
keep in mind that any policy's usefulness for social change will be much
higher if it has community consensus.

Two emails that I'm revisiting in my thought process are from Frances. I
agree that personal attacks can be demoralizing and uncivil, and they do
happen in our communities on occasion. I'm unclear about how to word a
policy that spells out how to AGF and prohibit the kind of incivility in
Oliver's example. Would it make sense, I wonder, to copy some of English
Wikipedia's highly developed policies into technical spaces like WP:NPA?
This gets us back into the rules creep and policy fragmentation problems.
Maybe that's an acceptible opportunity cost. I think there might be greater
support for a specific NPA proposal than for a broader proposal. I could
see myself voting in favor of appling English Wikipedia's WP:NPA to
technical spaces. I think that this would address a specific issue, and
could be a net positive.

If there are other specific kinds of problems that are ongoing in technical
spaces and which would be improved by legislating policy, I would like to
hear about them. In my personal travels in technical spaces,  my experience
is that the vast majority of people are civil most of the time. I think a
general statement of principles about civility could be fine. I'm curious
to hear if more legislation for technical spaces is needed than that.
Personally, I think that a global policy might work better.

Pine