> brion,
> civility _is_ enforced already today by the terms of use, nothing new
> necessary.

It really isn't except for extreme cases. There's a difference between
a policy enforced from above saying you're not allowed to do various
things, most of which would probably land you in jail, and a widely
agreed upon commitment to certain standards of behaviours.

> how does this relate to copyright license? directly not really, but i tried
> to hint that i would expect a technical solution from a technical person.
> as example where our written rules go wrong i cited the thread about
> licenses and reuse in commons, in two aspects. ONE, updating a lot of
> policies is a sisyphus task, and the WMF fails already today. the terms of
> use include still the old CC license, using the new one would prevent law
> suits in germany.

How is this relavent? Whether or not to update licenses is a
complicated question, with lots of pros and cons. It is not necessary
just laziness preventing someone from doing this, its possibly
intentional. For example, MediaWiki is intentionally GPLv2, not GPLv3.
(Depending on the license, it might even not be legally allowed -
CC-BY-SA 3.0 sates "You may Distribute or Publicly Perform the Work
only under the terms of this License. ...You may Distribute or
Publicly Perform an Adaptation only under the terms of: .. later
version of this License with the same License Elements as this
License", so maybe only adaptions but not the original work is allowed
to be relicensed not the original work, but then again anytime someone
edits wikipedia, they are adapting the work. IANAL and this is way off
topic)

TWO, you oliver, matt, quim and other technicians, would
> have the responsibility to come up with technical solutions to exactly this
> community problem, not paper. can we add metadata to images:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2015-July/078782.html.
> problem would be solved by a technical implementation and maybe adapting
> the license. which, in my biased opinion, has a huge impact and solves the
> problem at source for 120 million german speaking persons, and probably in
> many other countries as well.

This seems totally irrelevant to the code of conduct.

--
bawolff