Just wanna make a small correction here to avoid confusion.

The top and bottom queue are both JavaScript-enabled, using 'position' =>
'top' only controls where the load() command is placed (at the top or
bottom, naturally). Neither of these will run in IE 8 after January.

What Florian is referring to does exist. That is the "styles-only" queue It
is triggered by using addModuleStyles(). This method will ensure the module
is included in a regular <link> stylesheet. These modules don't have a
position, as stylesheets are always in the top.

One could consider these stylesheets as part of the top queue (based on
where they are in the HTML), but we don't do that in our documentation to
avoid confusion as instructions you may find about using the "top queue"
will refer to the 'position' attribute as used by addModules() – which is
not what you want in this case.

These styles-only modules are still processed by ResourceLoader (e.g. LESS
can be used, minified, and cached as usual). We've always used this skin
styling and other styles associated with server-side generated page output
(e.g. thumbnail styles, table of contents, skins etc.).

Primarily because it performs better (browsers discover these urls and
start fetching when statically looking ahead in the html parse stream). And
because it's a more stable and a semantically correct way to associate
styles. For instance, JavaScript runtime could intermittently fail for any
number of reasons even in modern browsers, as well as on mobile browsers.
In such scenarios the stylesheet  more important, and users effectively get
the fallback experience (as opposed to a page with no styling, which would
happen if we don't do that).

-- Krinkle