On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Legoktm <legoktm.wikipe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's well known that Wikipedia is facing threats from other social
> networks and losing editors. While many of us spend time trying to make
> Wikipedia different, we need to be cognizant that what other social
> networks are doing is working. And if we can't beat them, we need to
> join them.
>
> I've written a patch[1] that introduces a new feature to the Thanks
> extension called "feelings". When hovering over a "thank" link, five
> different emoji icons will pop up[2], representing five different
> feelings: happy, love, surprise, anger, and fear. Editors can pick one
> of those options instead of just a plain thanks, to indicate how they
> really feel, which the recipient will see[3].

Of the many initiatives to improve editor engagement and retention that the
Wikimedia Foundation has launched over the years, the only one that had a
demonstrable and substantial impact (AFAIK) was the Teahouse.

The goal of the Teahouse initiative was "learning whether a social approach
to new editor support could retain more new editors there"; its stated
design goal was to create a space for new users which would feature "warm
colors, inviting pictorial and thematic elements, simple mechanisms for
communicating, and a warm welcome from real people."[0]

Several studies were made of the Teahouse's impact on editors. One study,
conducted by Jonathan Morgan and Aaron Halfaker, found that new editors who
were invited to participate in the Teahouse were 10% more likely to have
met the thresholds for survival in the weeks and months after
registration.[1]

Another significant fact about the Teahouse is the substantial
participation from women. Women make up 9% of the general editor
population, but 29% percent of Teahouse participants.[2]

When new editors who had been invited to the Teahouse were asked (in a 2012
survey) to described what they liked about their experiences, many
respondents spoke about the positive emotional environment, saying things
like: "the fact that there is somebody 'out there', that there is a sincere
community, gives a professional and safe feeling about Wikipedia", and "the
editors are very friendly and patient, which is great when compared to the
rest of Wikipedia in how new editors are treated."[2]

Why am I going on about this? I guess I'm a bit bummed out that the idea of
designing user interfaces that seek to improve the emotional environment by
making it easier to be warm and personal to one another is a joke. I don't
think any topic is sacrosanct, this topic included. But humor works best
when it provides a counterpoint and a foil to "serious" discourse, and
there just isn't very much serious discourse on this topic to go around. I
also worry that people in and around our community who feel a need for more
opportunities for positive emotional interactions will feel invalidated,
ridiculous, ashamed, or at any rate less confident about ever speaking up
about this topic in a serious way, and less hopeful about being heard.

  [0]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Teahouse
  [1]:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Teahouse_long_term_new_editor_retention#Results
  [2]: