Thank you for this e-mail. It was informative.

Stas Malyshev wrote:
>No, and there are tricky parts there. Consider
>https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q735712. Yes, Lex Luthor held the office
>of the President of the USA. In a fictional universe, of course. But the
>naive query - every Wikidata item where position held includes "President
>of the United States" - would return Lex Luthor as the president as
>legitimate as Abraham Lincoln. In fact, there are 79 US presidents
>judging by "position held" alone. So clearly, there need to be some
>limits. And those limits would be on case-by-case basis.

Sure, but I'm not really worried about potential false positives. I'm
worried that we're building a giant write-only data store.

>Right now the best way is use one of the list-maintaining bots I think.

This sucks. :-(

>Unless you're talking about pulling a small set of values, in which case
>Lua/templates are probably the best venue.

I'm not sure what small means here. We have about 46 U.S. Presidents, is
that small enough? Which Lua functions and templates could I use?

>We're working on it (mostly thinking right now, but correct design is
>80% of the work, so...). Visualizations already have query capabilities
>(mainly because they have strong caching model embedded and because
>there are not too many of them and you need to create them so we can
>watch the load carefully). Other pages can gain them - probably via some
>kind of Lua functionality - as soon as we figure out what's the right
>way to do it, hopefully somewhere within the next year (no promise, but
>hopefully).

Wikidata began in October 2012. I thought it might take till 2014 or even
2015 to get querying capability into a usable state, but we're now looking
at potentially 2018? This really sucks. I think Wikidata may eventually
have a seismic shift on wiki editing, but currently I don't see any reason
to even contribute to it when it feels like putting data into a giant
system that you can't really get back out. I love Magnus and I have a ton
of respect for him, but I don't want anything to do with anything called
Listeria. It continues to seem like querying is an afterthought for
Wikidata and this continues to boggle my mind.

MZMcBride