I strongly support "native" Wikipedia lists using Wikidata queries, and by
that I mean proper SPARQL, not Lua hacks.

Listeria is used "in production", e.g. on Welsh (about 17.000 lists in
articles, see https://tools.wmflabs.org/listeria/botstatus.php), but it was
always intended as a proof of concept. It is also designed around WDQ and
only later retrofitted for SPARQL, which explains some of its peculiarities.

It can handle ~23K lists per day, easily, without any caching. I believe
(naively, perhaps) an extension would be feasible that renders "row
templates" based on SPARQL queries. No Lua needs to be involved in this, or
current Wikidata "fact transclusion". In a first iteration, it might not
even have an automatic update mechanism:
* Render some <wikidata ... /> construct based on SPARQL
* Tag pages with such tags in the database, or even through categories
* Have an external service/bot purge these pages on a regular basis; that
would update the list without the need of editing the page
* These automated updates could be staged by the time the SPARQL query
required on the last update - <2sec once/day, >10sec once/week etc.
* Have an "update now!" button (as I have on Listeria lists) that just
links to "action=purge", for the impatient (instant gratification)

The Wikipedia setup wasn't always as heavily cached as it is today; it grew
with usage. I believe we could do this for Wikidata-based lists as well, as
the WMF would control the update cycles.