A couple of additional points came to mind.

1. Blocking the creation of new wikis sounds like it could be a big deal. I
know little about the process for getting new wikis approved and launched, but
I hope that the folks who are regularly involved in these processes have been
advised of the situation.

2. In my previous email I may have revealed my level of ignorance about the
deployment train. Hopefully I didn't come across as presuming to "sound smart"
about that subject. I know that I am in the presence of experts on that subject.

Regards,

Pine

-------- Original message --------From: Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> Date:
8/30/18  7:57 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Wikimedia developers
<wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l] Datacenter
switchover and switchback
+1 to DJ's question about timing. Also, one might wish to be mindful of the
number of recent trains that were supposed to be boring but involved
interesting surprises; this makes me wonder whether trains that one thinks will
be boring are actually OK in this circumstance even if they turn out to be
"interesting".

Pine

-------- Original message --------From: Derk-Jan Hartman
<d.j.hartman+wmf...@gmail.com> Date: 8/30/18  2:54 AM  (GMT-08:00) To:
Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org> Subject: Re: [Wikitech-l]
Datacenter switchover and switchback
While I think these regular switches are a very good idea, from an outside
perspective I do have to question a process that puts a significant plug in
the velocity of various teams working on major projects (esp. in a time of
year that could probably be seen as one of the most productive). What are
plans to reduce the disruption of this exercise in the future ?

DJ