On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 12:55 PM Derk-Jan Hartman
<d.j.hartman+wmf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I think these regular switches are a very good idea, from an outside
> perspective I do have to question a process that puts a significant plug in
> the velocity of various teams working on major projects (esp. in a time of
> year that could probably be seen as one of the most productive).

That is absolutely true.
> What are
> plans to reduce the disruption of this exercise in the future ?

There are indeed plans about making this easier, more automated and
shorter in duration. Just to name a few, mediawiki now no longer
requires deployments to switch datacenters but rather relies on a
state key in the etcd database, there is a library + cookbooks to
automate the currently automateable steps, there is work to update the
documentation and make it update to date, accurate and more usable by
more people and at shorter notices and so on. That being said, it's
never gonna be free, but the toil is significant to make us want to
reduce and that what we aim for.

Alexandros Kosiaris <akosia...@wikimedia.org>