Von: Wikitech-l <wikitech-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org> Im Auftrag von Amir E.
Aharoni
Gesendet: Dienstag, 2. Oktober 2018 18:31
An: Wikimedia developers <wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
Betreff: [Wikitech-l] problematic use of "Declined" in Phabricator

Hi,

I sometimes see WMF developers and product managers marking tasks as "Declined"
with comments such as these:
* "No resources for it in (team name)"
* "We won't have the resources to work on this anytime soon."
* "I do not plan to work on this any time soon."

Can we perhaps agree that the "Declined" status shouldn't be used like this?

"Declined" should be valid when:
* The component is no longer maintained (this is often done as mass-declining).
* A product manager, a developer, or any other sensible stakeholder thinks that
doing the task as proposed is a bad idea. There are also variants of
this:
* The person who filed the tasks misunderstood what the software component is
supposed to do and had wrong expectations.
* The person who filed the tasks identified a real problem, but another task
proposes a better solution.

It's quite possible that some people will disagree with the decision to mark a
particular task as "Declined", but the reasons above are legitimate
explanations.

However, if the task suggests a valid idea, but the reason for declining is
that a team or a person doesn't plan to work on it because of lack of resources
or different near-term priorities, it's quite problematic to mark it as
Declined.

It's possible to reopen tasks, of course, but nevertheless "Declined" gives a
somewhat permanent feeling, and may cause good ideas to get lost.

So can we perhaps decide that such tasks should just remain Open? Maybe with a
Lowest priority, maybe in something like a "Freezer" or "Long term"
or "Volunteer needed" column on a project workboard, but nevertheless Open?

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces, I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬