Declined = WONTFIX (e.g. if some talented developer wrote a patch, and the
patch was perfect, you would still -2 it because the functionality is not
wanted/stupid/etc)

Invalid = not a real bug. That should include things like spam, stuff where
the reporter is mistaken ( can't reproduce or if someone say reports a
sharepoint bug)

I think the defining difference is its possible to write a patch for a
declined bug, even though it would be rejected, where an invalid bug by
definition is unfixable.

Just my 2 cents, others may have different definitions.

--
Brian

p.s. ive never liked the "need volunteer" term for lowest priority - I have
always felt it had offensive implications as if volunteer time isnt as
important so they get the low priority bugs.

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018, Joe Matazzoni <jmatazz...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I agree with Amir’s understanding. "Declined” is basically for ideas
whose proper timing is never.  Valid ideas that we just aren’t going to
work on any time soon should go in a backlog or freezer or some such, where
they can await until some future project or other development makes them
relevant (at least theoretically).

> All of which does raise a slightly different question: I am much less
clear on what the exact difference is between “Invalid” and “Declined.”
Thoughts?

> Best,
> Joe
> _____________________
>
> Joe Matazzoni
> Product Manager, Collaboration
> Wikimedia Foundation, San Francisco
> mobile 202.744.7910
> jmatazz...@wikimedia.org
>
> "Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge."

>> On Oct 2, 2018, at 9:31 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.ahar...@mail.huji.ac.il>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I sometimes see WMF developers and product managers marking tasks as
>> "Declined" with comments such as these:
>> * "No resources for it in (team name)"
>> * "We won't have the resources to work on this anytime soon."
>> * "I do not plan to work on this any time soon."
>>
>> Can we perhaps agree that the "Declined" status shouldn't be used like
this?

>> "Declined" should be valid when:
>> * The component is no longer maintained (this is often done as
>> mass-declining).
>> * A product manager, a developer, or any other sensible stakeholder
thinks
>> that doing the task as proposed is a bad idea. There are also variants of
>> this:
>> * The person who filed the tasks misunderstood what the software
component
>> is supposed to do and had wrong expectations.
>> * The person who filed the tasks identified a real problem, but another
>> task proposes a better solution.
>>
>> It's quite possible that some people will disagree with the decision to
>> mark a particular task as "Declined", but the reasons above are
legitimate
>> explanations.
>>
>> However, if the task suggests a valid idea, but the reason for declining
is
>> that a team or a person doesn't plan to work on it because of lack of
>> resources or different near-term priorities, it's quite problematic to
mark
>> it as Declined.
>>
>> It's possible to reopen tasks, of course, but nevertheless "Declined"
gives
>> a somewhat permanent feeling, and may cause good ideas to get lost.
>>
>> So can we perhaps decide that such tasks should just remain Open? Maybe
>> with a Lowest priority, maybe in something like a "Freezer" or "Long
term"
>> or "Volunteer needed" column on a project workboard, but nevertheless
Open?