Aha thanks for the update. To give you some context, I would like to
fix https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T249460 the main problem as I
see now, is that this looks like a seriously breaking change to me
(but maybe I am overlooking something). If I change the API call to
work with rvslots, I doubt it's going to work at all with MediaWiki <
1.32, on other hand, future versions of MW may stop working with older
parameters.

I don't see an easy way out here for applications that want to work
flawlessly with as many MW versions as possible. In case of Huggle,
it's not really so big deal, it's mostly used with Wikimedia wikis and
I believe we are consistently on newest version on all production
wikis. Huggle can be used on 3rd party MediaWiki installations too,
where this could be a serious issue, but I doubt there are too many
users who actually use it outside of Wikimedia world (and if there
are, they can just stick with older Huggle if they don't want to
upgrade their wiki installation).

But still, I am curious what is the recommended approach for someone
who wants to develop their application "properly" in a way that it's
backward compatible? First query the MediaWiki version via API, and
based on that decide how to call APIs? I can't think of any other way.