Am 05.04.20 um 23:18 schrieb Petr Bena:
> But still, I am curious what is the recommended approach for someone
> who wants to develop their application "properly" in a way that it's
> backward compatible? First query the MediaWiki version via API, and
> based on that decide how to call APIs? I can't think of any other way.

Yes, that's indeed the only way if the client is to be entirely generic. Though
deprecated API behavior tends to stay supported for quite a while,  much longer
than deprecated PHP methods. So checking the MediaWiki version first would only
be needed if you wanted your code to work with a wide range of MediaWiki
versions.

Also, most clients are not totally agnostic to the wiki they run against. E.g.
pywikibot has per-wiki configuration, which could easily include the wiki
version. So no query would be necessary. Similarly, JS code running on the site
has access to the version from JS variables.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, Core Platform