I agree a bit with both Kunal and Asaf here,

I do not think our goal is to get it done **by paid WMF staff**, but it is
also true that today that is the only viable alternative to get major
technical work done. I do not think it is entirely fair to state that
"status quo can be changed by just about anyone who is motivated to do so
(...)  just by doing the work". It is not a lack of motivation that hinders
our movement technically, but a lack of resources and shared governance. I
am not sure if the implication is that the movement should be expecting
free (expensive) labor to fix these issues, but even then there is a very
high bar for engagement with the technical community in order to have
access and a significant bottleneck in both technical review of changes and
engagement with technical and other communities for changes that impact
them.

It is not only unfair to expect this to be solved by volunteer
developers, it is not working. Why should we expect this will change?

Open source and accepting volunteer contributions is nowhere near where our
goal should be. We need better governance and distribution of resources and
responsibilities to volunteer **and professional** organizations that can
bridge the gaps in our technological stack.

How we move from a state where WMF is doing all the technical development
and deciding technical choices is a bigger issue. And perhaps it is in that
issue that we will find an answer on how to improve the state of our tech
ecosystem. How do we get from a WMF-centered development model to a
decentralized one?

It is a bit disappointing the lack of emphasis our movement placed in this
discussion in our strategy process thus far; and how we have set aside the
little that did make to the recommendations in this area since they were
published.

Chico Venancio