From: William Paraska [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2006 9:16 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Guest access

That certainly is the question and one that ought to bother all of us.
That is the reason that GSU has stopped providing access to
non-University affiliated users.  We push them to a commercial carrier
that rides our same access points.  They require identification and they
track the bad actors.

Bill Paraska
Director, University Computing and Communications
Information Systems and Technology

(404) 651-0881

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/31/06 9:10 AM >>>
Ok, I have to ask the question that's been sitting on my mind for a
while
now. All the places that essentially allow unauthenticated wireless
(including asking for an e-mail that anybody could easily just put
[EMAIL PROTECTED]): How do you deal with abuse ?  I realize that your choice
of
protocols likely limits the options, but it's still quite viable (for
example posting of content to a message board, blog comment, or other
public space that triggers legal or law enforcement response) ?  Many of
the safe harbor provisions protecting us legally are predicated on our
ability to "point the finger" at the real offender. If we're unable to
do
so, we automatically become liable for the actions.  How do you track
down
misbehaving guest users ?

-S

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Joyce, Todd N wrote:

> We allow these services for Guest Wireless Access and we are working
> allow VPN to the outside.
>

> DNS - UDP 53
>
> HTTP - TCP 80
>
> HTTPS - TCP 443
>

> Todd Joyce
> Network Services
> Radford University - The Smart Choice
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (540) 831-7777
>

> Keep your boots and ChapStick and ice hotels.
>
> Give me shorts and sandals and a thirty-blocker.
>

> Temperance Brennan - Monday Mourning
>

> ________________________________

EDUCAUSE
> http://www.educause.edu/groups/.

-------
Simon Kissler                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
UNIX Systems Administrator                      Phone: (219) 464 6773
Electronic Information Services                 Fax  : (219) 464 5381
Valparaiso University
Kretzmann Hall B22
Valparaiso, IN 46383
-------

          "They may forget what you said, but they will never forget
             how you made them feel."
                                                   -Carl W. Buechner