We also have a commercial hotspot provided on our campus here at London Business School.

TheCloud provides a service across our existing network of Access Points. The campus network access points have two SSIDs, and the public hotspot traffic runs in a separate VLAN across our LAN and over a VPN to their core network.

The landing page that clients get when attached to commercial hotspot is slightly different from other sites in that there are links that allow free access to our website and portal (walled garden links) that were agreed when the service was set up, so a guest on our site need not pay to get to the majority of our campus resources, but can use a voucher, a supported roaming account, or a credit card to browse elsewhere.

It was reasonably easy to set up, the service works well and is well received by our customers. I would imagine that hotspot operators in the US would be able to provide a similar service, and it can generate a revenue stream if that was required.

--

Tomo.

Network & Telecoms Project Engineer,   Information Systems Division
London Business School, Sussex Place, Regents Park, London. NW1 4SA
t: +44 (0)20 7000 7777 direct  -------  +44 (0)20 7262 5050 general
f: +44 (0)20 7000 7771 direct  -------  +44 (0)20 7724 7875 general
e: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      w: http://www.london.edu/technology/