Scott,

We rolled out a WLAN deployment a little over a year ago. We had first wrestled with the idea of thick APs with either proprietary or universal management, or thin APs with centralized proprietary management. We decided on the later route. We then evaluated two main manufactures - Aruba, and Bluesocket. Cisco wasn't an option as we had a bad experience with them in the past.

During our evaluation, we looked at many things such as ease of management, deployment topology, user-friendly naming conventions, range, speed, and reliability. It was close. Aruba was a formidable solution; but in the end we chose the Bluesocket solution. We have been very pleased with the system since its deployment, and haven't looked back once. We have been growing the WLAN steadily, and In fact, we are about to perform a major expansion project.

We have an all Cisco infrastructure, and have had only one issue (during initial few weeks of deployment); PoE. Cisco switches determined that these IEEE 802.3af devices needed the highest wattage available per port (15.4 watts). This fried about 5% of our initial AP deployment. Bluesocket support was extremely responsive to the issue; they RMA'd every AP, and worked with a value added Cisco/Bluesocket reseller to TS the problem. In the end, we discovered that we needed to manually set the power per AP port to 9.6 watts (which is the amount required as per Bluesocket). We haven't had a single issue since.

If you want more information about either the deployment or the vendor/reseller I used, please fell free to contact me offline. My contact info is below. I would be happy to help.

Scott Smith wrote:
For years we have been a Cisco and Vivato WiFi shop. I am now being asked to evaluate other WiFi manufacturers. In the past I've looked at 3com, Lucent, and Symbol. However, that's been over 7 years ago at this point.

So I'm wanting any feedback for other types of WiFi other Universities are currently utilizing, pros and cons, and even ones in the past you may have used.

I started looking at Colubris, Xirrus, and Symbol as those are the ones specifically I was asked to look at. However, I'm just wanting to see what other options there may be, besides Cisco.

--

Fishel Erps
Sr. Network Infrastructure Engineer
School of Visual Arts