Once in a while we get calls from the university police department
asking us to search for stolen laptops. We use the stolen laptop's MAC
address to search in both DHCP and WCS (we are a Cisco shop). We've
never been successful in recovering a stolen laptop. So far the thieves
have been smart enough not to ever bring those laptops back into our
campus. I'm curious to know if any of you have come up with a way to
automate the detection of a wireless device. Something like waiting for
a laptop's MAC to come on the wireless network and immediately sending
an email to an operator.

Thanks,

Hector Rios

Louisiana State University