From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv on behalf of
Barber, Matt
Sent: Thu 1/29/2009 9:20 AM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] 802.11n testplans

Hi Bruce,

We didn't have a formal test plan, but have had many experiences I am
more than willing to share.

Surveying was pretty interesting, as we deployed before there were any
11n capable tools available.  Back in the summer of 2007, we pretty much
just had to make some assumptions and then survey with what we had.  Our
goal was for full 5 GHz coverage, but without knowing exactly how the 5
GHz 11n coverage was going to look, we surveyed and deployed for 11a.
We made the incredibly safe assumption that 11n coverage would be equal
to or greater than 11a.  The end result was a pretty dense environment
all around.  Since we deployed Meru single-channel, the overlapping AP
coverage helps as opposed to hinders our deployment.  This may not be
the case with other vendors, but I don't have any personal experience
with anything else.  This approach left legacy clients covered just
fine.

In the summer of 2008 we had a chance to use the new version of Ekahau
to do some testing of 3x3 vs 2x2 antenna configurations.  We have been
running on 2x2 with normal 802.3af power since we deployed in October
2007.  We found that bumping up to 3x3 significantly improved the data
rates for clients at further distances.  The difference was enough that
we went ahead and got 802.3at (assuming the standard gets all wrapped
up) injectors.

In terms of considering legacy clients for deployments, it may be useful
to see how legacy clients behave with an 11n AP at 3x3.  If you survey
and deploy for full coverage at 5GHz with 3x3, 11g clients may end up
fully covered anyways.  If I were to do a new deployment today, that is
how I would survey.  Depending on your client mix, you may be able to
even deal with only "decent" 11g coverage as the number of 11n clients
grows.

I hope this helps. I would love to hear how 11n deployments and
surveying are going for the group at large.  Is everyone still surveying
based on legacy clients, or do 11g clients end up working fine if you
target 5 GHz 11n?

Matt Barber
Network Analyst
Morrisville State College