Unrealistic or not we have the burden of advancing our technology to match
the customer's (read student and parent) expectations. Much of the new
wireless has been designed for the multimedia experience; without the
industry and customers pushing us we would be satisfied with "it's always
been good enough". We have gone to gigabit to the desktop in the dorms yet
they still insist on reasonable wireless for their Netflix (the heaviest
user of our bandwidth) as well as YouTube and Skype.

This is a trend that is only getting worse; Apple has Facetime, the iPad
has Facetime and Android devices have their version. Video conferencing
will be expected at the flick of their laptops in a wireless environment.
4G alludes to multimedia of any nature; do we arrange for students to have
a 4G device instead of school wireless? It is worth considering since the
burden then will be on the carriers and not IT. At least at our location we
strive to anticipate the front of the curve - with limited success of
course.

My parents complain that Skype quality is not good enough or little Johnny
can't see some of his movies with some pausing at times. I think today's
student has no real clue about shared wireless and definitely nothing about
wired. We push wired but it winds up being only used for gaming devices.

Harry Rauch
Network Analyst
Eckerd College
4200 - 54th Ave So