It's my understanding, at least in the 7.x train of Cisco wireless, that
multicast data is transmitted at the highest basic (required) rate. Management
frames can also be set to use the highest basic rate and/or kept at the lowest
basic rate. Of course, transmitting at the highest basic rate does require
smaller cell sizes.

There is no client limit that I'm aware of, but even if it was 12 like Aruba,
my cells are small enough that it would be rare to see that many clients on a
single radio.

Cisco also introduced a new multicast optimization in 7.0.116, so when using
VLAN pooling, you wind up with only a single multicast stream no matter how
many VLANs are in the pool. This is a big plus if say you have 10 clients all
on the same AP, but all in different VLANs. Instead of 10 copies (1 per VLAN)
of the multicast stream going out over the air, there is only one that all
clients listen to.

Jeff

>>> On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM, in message
>>> <cb6a92f7.2586b%stan.bro...@emory.edu>, "Brooks, Stan"
>>> <stan.bro...@emory.edu> wrote:

So it's not just about the bandwidth.  B'cast & M'cast use the lowest
configured data rate of the AP - just like wireless management frames.
This means that even for 300Mbps 802.11n network is reduced to 24Mbps or
less.  That also ties up airtime that could be given to faster clients as
well, since transmitting data at a lower data rate consumes more time that
transmitting data at a higher data rate.

So even if it is a low bit-rate stream, it takes away more available
bandwidth from other clients.

Aruba has a method that takes b'cast & m'cast and converts it to higher
speed unicast traffic to each client.  This gives better results for about
up to 12 clients on an AP/radio.

>>-> Stan Brooks - CWNA/CWSP
      Emory University
      University Technology Services