From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Curtis K. Larsen
Sent: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:13 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] Windows 8 and Broadcom wireless cards

I have seen three cases of this.  We are running Cisco WiSM2's and
1142/3500/3600 series AP's.  All three laptops were working fine on Win7, and
then after upgrading to Win 8.1 they can no longer get an IP address on either
our open SSID or our .1x SSID.  On a debug, I show that our DHCP server has
offered the client an address.  In all three cases they were using a Broadcom
802.11n adapter.  Specifying a static IP did not work.

I had one user come in and after a little hunting I was unable to find any
Win8.1 supported driver from the laptop vendor so I connected two other USB
adapters to the same machine and they both worked fine on either an open or 1x
SSID.  I told the user to downrgrade until a supported driver is published for
their adapter/OS combination, or by a USB adapter.

Thanks,

Curtis Larsen
University of Utah
Wireless Network Engineer