From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] On Behalf Of Jeff Kell
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:30 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] WiFi planning

On 12/12/2013 5:11 PM, Ian McDonald wrote:
It seems to me to be completely impractical from a planning and budgetary
perspective to be increasing the density of AP's on an annual basis due to poor
client design, whether low transmit power, antenna deficiency, or
insufficiently well designed front-ends.

If a device can't connect to the same wireless network, side by side with last
year's device, then from my perspective, that's an issue with the device, not
an infrastructure issue.

Well, when most of us started wireless deployment, it was pretty optimistic to
plan for a laptop per student / class seat / dorm bed, this was the same time
we were doing ResNet plans with a "port per pillow" -- a plan which game
consoles initially wrecked, now followed by BluRays and Smart TVs and
femtocells and who-knows-what-else.  And now for wireless, it's certainly not
just laptops (we have more registered/identified BYODs than computers now).

Wireless devices continue to explode...  its not last year's device that can't
necessarily communicate, it's the 3-4 extras today over the original device
that cause the issues.  If you designed for 2.4G power/distance back when 2.4G
was in vogue, and 5G was either ancient (11a) or new again (11n), it wasn't
necessarily a design goal, and 5G doesn't tolerate walls, etc as well.  Not
sure about 11ac, but 11ad at even higher frequencies will penetrate even less.

So yeah, if we had to do it over again AND knew what we know today... sure.
How many deployed 11a/b/g over 100Mb ports?  And out of those, how many were
Cat6/6A?  Regretting any of those decisions yet?  Just give it time :)

Things evolve.  I'd agree they should last longer than "last year" but things
change *fast* in this business :)

Jeff