I received enough junk mail from vendors before I joined the educause lists
that I can't blame it on that, but the vendors definitely actively monitor
the lists. Just say something negative and wait for your phone to start
ringing (I'm looking at you Cisco and Fortinet). I don't particularly mind,
but it did catch me off guard the first time.