Greetings,

I am looking for some input from those who have experience with Aerohive
Wirelsss systems and who have implemented roaming across their campus.

Our wireless network has been configured in such a manner that clients must
obtain new IP space for each building as they move about campus.  Although
it appears that Roaming is working intra-building - inter­building requires
disconnection and re-issuing of IP at each location.  This has caused major
issues with IP space and has the prompted the technicians to implement an
outrageously low TTL for IP ­ 15 minutes.  We are now looking at throwing
more IP address space at each location, but I wonder if there is a better
way?

I have experience designing and implementing CISCO¹s wireless solution and
in that case, IP address were issued once during the day and had an eight
hour lease.  Of course the APs' learned from each other access status,
encryption keys or other information in cache  to maintain the session while
moving from AP to AP.  This, I believe is the way most vendors¹ solutions
have implemented roaming.

I am getting push back on considering a campus wide roaming strategy and
would like to know if anyone has implemented campus wide roaming in an
environment of 10K students or more?  I would Love to hear the good, the bad
and the ugly, as what we are doing now isn¹t working.

Your input is greatly needed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim