From: The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv
[WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] on behalf of Howard, Christopher
[christopher-how...@utc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 3:49 PM
To: WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
Subject: Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] FW: [WIRELESS-LAN] Outdoor APs

The lights are controlled through the SENSUS stuff.  (I was unaware of the name
until now.)  They have the ability to turn off and on lights from a web browser
just by selecting the lights from a map.  That control is over the
low-frequency radio.  I think they only have one in town here, maybe two.  The
people doing the web browser control have to be on the internet somewhere.

The 802.11 AP part is for servicing clients.  They sell it as "easy to install"
and "visibly attractive" wifi.  If we had gone that route, it would be wifi
access only for UTC users and guests and would be completely separate from
anything GGL managed.

Christopher Howard
Senior Network Engineer
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Helping Students Achieve Excellence through Technology

christopher-how...@utc.edu
423-425-1773