*From:* The EDUCAUSE Wireless Issues Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:
WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU] *On Behalf Of *Jeffrey D. Sessler
*Sent:* Friday, February 17, 2017 9:44 AM
*To:* WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU
*Subject:* Re: [WIRELESS-LAN] 2.4GHz - educating end users about
interference

You are fighting a battle that will never be won, and even a stale-mate is
unlikely.

IMHO, your best bet is to work toward abandoning 2.4. In the early days, we
did try outreach and education, but there are just too many devices today
that use 2.4, and in many cases, users don’t even know it e.g. Apple’s
Airdrop. You can minimize some of this by solving the reasons behind some
of the interference sources i.e. install more WAPs to improve the service,
reducing the rogue problem. Install residential printers to mitigate the
need for student printers.

Most of our residential is now designed around dense 5 GHz, and while 2.4
is available, it’s mostly ignored.

Jeff

*From: *"wireless-lan@listserv.educause.edu" <
WIRELESS-LAN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU> on behalf of "Gray, Sean" <