One of the things as a partner I try to educate customers on is “who is
recommending what, and why.”

My experience has been that the BU is trying to drive feature adoption, sell
APs and controllers.  That’s why they exist, so don’t fault them for it.  They
tend to recommend new APs, new versions of code and new features.  Why?
Because they are in the business of selling.

Tac is all about which code results in defects are going to generate the least
amount of tickets, and hopefully that means more stability.

As a partner I try to ride the line.  I tend to determine a customer’s appetite
for risk, longevity, their market and their staff capability. This puts them
into 3 buckets: proven technology only, moderate, and bleeding edge.  I’m
accountable if I recommend something and it doesn’t work well, so I tend to be
more conservative.  Bleeding edge gets you further in a lifecycle if equipment,
but you better be prepared to deal with some bugs in the short term.

And I sit down and talk with them about why I feel they should be buying and
operating in the bucket that makes sense for them.  Ultimately they make the
buying decision.  Sometimes things bite me, it happens.  But it happens less
and less over time.

For those of you who are feeling the pain, somehow you are listening to the
wrong folks, buying outside the bucket that fits your org, or the person
helping you with that decision is looking at things in a way that doesn’t align
with your business.

Having the relationship with the BU is important.  Know how to work with Tac
and having a trusted partner is also important.  And ultimately the you, the
customer gets to make that decision on where and how you go.

Sent from my iPhone