From: Tom DeReggi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:06 PM
To: Dylan Oliver; WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Fwd: FCC expected to officially propose DSL deregulationonThursday

AOL and Earthlinks don't need us.  They will build their own. We just get more competition in the Wireless world.
ILECs stop having competition, WISPs start having competition. The WISP indistry grows, but existing WISPs start to feel the squeeze.
The independant ISP is our friend. Most likely if they die, its just a matter of time before we do.

Should the vote go as planned in favor of the ILECs, it will once again be a sad day, like last FEB 2003.  Sorta like in StarWars, when the Deathstar blew up Princess Leah's home planet as a demonstration of its power, feeling a super void in the force as millions of people were destroyed in a split second.  Only ISP would be equivellent to the People on the planet that got destroyed.

The truth is, probably nobody will notice any difference initially when the vote happens, but slowly behind the scenes the effects will be seen stronger and stronger as time goes on, and eventually leveraged to the full advantage to wipe out independant competition.

AS soon as you have 7000 indpendant ISPs, and the TOP 10 Giant ISPs like AOL and Earthlinks trying to deploy their own networks in unlicense, what do you think will happen? I can tell you the recent allocation of 3650 surely isn't enough to solve the problem that will quickly become apparent.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 3:26 PM

"If the vote goes according to Mr. Martin's plan, and the telecommunications companies find themselves free of the requirement that they open their broadband networks to competitors, it could have an immediate effect on ISPs such as America Online and EarthLink. This fall, they could find themselves scrambling for broadband alternatives. "

How 'bout them alternatives? How you all doing on the build-out of your Open Provider Networks? Come on. AOL may need you!