Brian,

Excellent comments.  However, I don't personally have the problem, as I don't currently utilize any ILEC services on our network. Allthough I provide service occationally to Ilec employees / teleworkers with broadband for their home.   I strictly use independant fiber companies such as Cogent.  One of the best things ISPs can do is buy their transit from these third party fiber carriers.  The negative part is that these Fiber carriers rarely extend out past the major markets. But that OK, because the major markets is where the most impact can be made taking business from the ILECs. It almost makes the ILEC model a model to sell to under served non-metro areas. :-)

I'd also mention that not all cable companies are non-sharing. A local cable company near our area is starting to build a wholesale program to possibly partner with local ISPs, because they have lots of fiber, not enough man power, and ISPs have the clients.  This is the interesting play.  Cable companies deploy fiber, now Verizon deploys fiber to home. Cable competing against Ilec head to head. However, now its a race to see which one wants to add the ISPs and their clients to their portfolia first. If the cable company partners with ISPs and gains that business they have a better chance of competing against the ILEC's fiber offerings.  When ever their is a more equalized playing field there is a possiblilty for competiution and third parties to get involved that can add value.  Think about it. Verizon wants to take over the Internet by buying World com, a big risk to cable companies. Well what if buying Worldcom has little value, because all the worldcom clients belonged to ISP resellers, and the resellers took the clients and brought them to the cable companies?  After all doesn't the 7000 independent ISPs combined still have about half of the Internet traffic?

I'm not saying the Time warners are going to share, but the smaller local regional cable companies may likely share.  They aren't going to share the last mile of course.  But the backhaul and transport, they will definately share. Its an under used asset, that other wise will just have the business go to the competition if they don't share.

Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:57 PM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Fwd: FCC expected to officially propose DSLderegulationonThursday

Ah,
    But don't forget Craig McCaw and Clearwire. They have been quietly buying licenses and setting up to deploy wireless broadband nationwide. This guy built two major wireless empires before (Cellular One - sold it to AT&T and Nextel). He will be ready to pounce on the market that gets caught high and dry.
    As far as backhaul, remember there is a lot of dark fiber in the US and other companies (Wiltel comes to mind) that provide big pipes and backhaul services. I know they aren't always where we need them but they can be of help. This group is made up of wireless operators, we can create backhauls and networks to get around this problem. It won't be easy and it won't be cheap but alas you could be free of the RBOC's. Seems like FiberTower might be in a good position to help out too. They certainly will be on many towers where your sites are, if not they should be within a backhaul shot to another tower that has connectivity. It's time to think outside the box again. If anyone can figure a way around this problem, this group can. Think of the possibilities of an RBOC free network, when the VOIP companies can't get traffic through other networks, where do you think they will go, can you say wholesale backhaul too? It's just going to take a lot of cooperation and group thinking. This will be a huge challenge for all of the small operators who are just able to keep up with their day to day operations. It does seem like the only way out in the long run. Might be a good time to attend the WISPBONE session at WINOG, this is exactly what will be discussed, it now has more urgency.

Thank You,
Brian Webster