Hams are the most experienced and most like us. I say screw all the feds and lets team up with the Hams.

Mark Koskenmaki wrote:

This list is public.  It's going to be out and around.  But I"ll repeat my
posting in response...  There doesn't seem to be all that much overlap
between the lists...
We're all "irked" that we got jerked around a bit by the desk-sitters.
However, this is not all that surprising.   I wrote early on that both FEMA
and ARC are totally top-down organizations, and each is dedicated to using
thier list of contacts in the rolodex, so to speak.

They see "SBC" they think "they're big, they can do it".

The media has the same problem.

The public has the same perception.

Once all this dies down, and I think it'll be 6 mo or more,  there has to be
a process where t he FCC introduces us to the top guys at FEMA, and like the
HAM operators, we get "on the list" of people to call.   The HAM guys are
well organized, they have disaster drills to work outside the box, they have
a lot of flexible technology.   They work in small teams, have a relatively
small organization, and are konwn for nimble movements and the ability to go
anywhere for what they do.

Of course, some of us WISP's do the same kind of  flexible, outside the box
stuff daily.

This business of replacing infrastructure to some remote place with no power
or anything... that's not even a challenge to me.   I can do it as a matter
of course - as can a whole pile of WISP's.   A few are technology locked,
and are the same "one hammer for all nails" that SBC and Time Warner have,
but are very much the exception to this rule.   Especially us RURAL wisp's
who are not even challenged by the thought of not having power, no support
infrastructure, etc, can and should be key players.   We should be called
and on the road meeting t he HAM guys who show up to help us deploy - they
would be the perfect partner.

I wrote once before that if all we did here was create the first large-scale
disaster drill for WISP's, and are never officially tasked, it has been
"worth it".   I still maintain that view.   However, when the beaurocracy
has become so  calcified as it now appears to be, this could be much harder
to accomplish, than any other task we could be asked to do.   Frankly,
lighting up the gulf coast and getting every critical need communication is
child's play, compared to getting the powers that be to recognize that
ability and put it to work.

ONE of the things we MUST do is document, photograph, and then produce a
story of our own, how we did "on the ground"  local-level stuff and how it
can be life-saving in times of urgent need.    This is how and WHAT the HAM
community did.

Well, that's just off the top of my head...  But maybe it's worthy of
consideration.

Mark

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Stroh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>