To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Cogent - Level3 Current News

I hope everyone takes this opportunity to become multi-homed if you are not already. In our case, we were already multi-homed, but all of our IPs were allocated by Cogent simply because it was the cheapest place to get them. During this mesh we learn that our IPs were in some cases being null routed. As such, we have started the process of ordering our own IP block from ARIN and have asked Cogent to assign our existing IPs to us.

-Matt

Frank Muto wrote:

Level 3 Issues Ultimatum
Restores connectivity to Cogent until Nov 9

Posted 2005-10-07 19:15:54

After restoring connectivity to Cogent this afternoon, Level 3 has now
issued a press release (http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/68244) explaining
their side of the story
(http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051007/laf057.html?.v=17). "Despite more than
75 days of advance written notice of the termination of our agreement,
Cogent apparently failed to notify its customers or make any business plans to prepare for disconnection," notes Sureel Choksi, executive vice president
of Level 3 Communications.

The restored peering arrangement won't last if Cogent isn't willing to
negotiate, however.

"Level 3 has, effective immediately, re-established a free connection to Cogent. In order to allow Internet users to make alternative arrangements, we will maintain this connection until 6:00 a.m. ET, November 9, 2005. The effectiveness of this arrangement of course depends on Cogent's willingness
to maintain their side of the traffic exchange."

Frank Muto
Co-founder -  Washington Bureau for ISP Advocacy - WBIA
Telecom Summit Ad Hoc Committee
http://gigabytemarch.blog.com/     www.wbia.us