Mark Nash wrote:

> What hardware is preferred to run the StarOS on?  Most interested in the
> AP, but for CPE as well?

The neat thing about StarOS is that it's Linux-based, so it'll probably
run on just about any old computer you've got sitting in the closet. :D

If your traffic will stay under, say, 10Mbps aggregate at a given
location, a WRAP board, or a Routerboard 200, will work splendidly. (Both
those boards start hitting the limits of the CPU around there.) I prefer
the Routerboard 200s, personally; they're a bit more expensive, but I like
having PCMCIA slots and the option to add more RAM if I ever need it. And
they seem to be a bit more tolerant of the OMG COLD weather, though I've
seen a few of them get flaky when the temperatures fall below -10 degrees
Fahrenheit.

For CPE, I'd probably stick with WRAP boards. They're smaller and cuter.
And wisp-router.com sells the indoor cases in a wide variety of colors to
match most any carpet and drapes scheme.

> I'm highly interested in bandwidth shaping and routing at the AP, and if
> routing is available at the sector, then bonus.

Bandwidth shaping works well, but can be a bit processor-intensive. With
routing multiple subnets, running two separate wireless cards, and doing
bandwidth shaping, a RB200 should be able to handle most of a hundred
clients (one of my boards in that exact setup has about 70 clients and
stays at 30-40% CPU usage).

> Does the StarOS at the AP allow for:
>
> 1. Public IPs?  We use all public IP's (usually kept to 1 per customer).

Yep. (IPs are IPs, the software doesn't care whether they're public or
RFC1918-private.)

> 2. Static IPs?  We route /30 subnets out to customers who require static
> IP
> addresses.  That way they will never change even if the network does.  So,
> sub-question here is can we route multiple subnets to a single AP sector?

Shouldn't be a problem. We route our network a bit differently - sending a
/27 or so to a given location, and assigning static addresses out of that
block to the customers - but in theory you should be able to put a larger
quantity of /30s on an interface and it'll work just the same.

> 3. DHCP reservations? (We use DHCP reservations...a low-cost low-security
> solution to tell who's using what IP address without authentication.)

It's in there, though the configuration syntax is a bit ugly until you're
used to it. (You'll basically be editing a Linux dhcpd.conf file, and
learning all its quirks will probably take a very small amount of
trial-and-error.)

Good luck!

David Smith
MVN.net