No firmware upgrade will be available and it's a different chipset on both
base stations and cpe. But we'll support VL for a long time so you won't
have to worry about a deployment getting canned. Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: John Scrivner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:23 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] Alvarion VL as a PtMP Platform

Is there a firmware upgrade path for WiMAX through the VL product line
or is it a hardware change? Feel free to have someone contact me offlist
for pricing information. I have a need for a PtMP system with more
capacity than I have now with my current system. I do not know of many
systems that meet the specs you list here and I already know many people
are quite fond of the product.

Maybe this time the price won't drive me away as has been the case in
the past. Please do not take that as a slam. It is not. I know the
quality is there and it is a matter of economics for me only that has
ever kept me away from Alvarion products. You guys build good stuff and
in some markets the price is easily recovered through ROI.
Thanks,
Scriv

Brad Larson wrote:

>John, Typically 4 sector base stations are built with either 5.3 or a
>licensed link as backhaul. With BreezeAccess VL, true data sector
>performance is 28 meg's in a 20 Mhz channel and half that in 10 Mhz Next
>firmware release is going to mid 30's in a 20 Mhz channel (again true data
>rates). I know of one sector that has 200 sub's attached although most
>sectors have less than 100. This customer looked at most manufacturer's
gear
>and concluded Alvarion had the management feature sets, ease of batch
>processing for firmware uploads, obstructed NLOS for their application, and
>a host of other likes including Alvarion's support infrastructure.
>
>To be honest I don't think we have many Alvarion Operators that subscribe
>here but that doesn't mean there aren't a crap load of them out there which
>should be obviuos to everyone. Typically our Operators use Alvarion support
>Application Engineers and Alvarion web servers such as Mike Cowan's at ACC
>when needed.
>
>This could end up being a long dialog about the differences in operators,
>products, and ROI models but I won't go there. Brad

This mail passed through mail.alvarion.com

********
viruses.
********