Charles,

I see the point you are making.
And I say this:
The ILECs can (and will) get away with it.
I'm not so sure that any other operator can or will.

I'd like to point out that the language used in any public discussion or marketing should be careful

Vonage started us all on the FCC roller ride by tagging Broadband Phone Company.

The wording is all.

The best way around this is to sell a premium service that says "Optimized for ABC VOIP". Or like Metro E have Basic, premium and Dedicated service offerings or sell CIR or whatever. Spell it out carefully in the TOS and AUP and have the end user electronically initial it.

And blocking ports for "security" reasons is different than for "performance" reasons.

Sorry. I had to get my quarter's worth this week.

Peter
RAD-INFO, Inc.
4isps.com