I don't think Trangos new lower price was to wipe out StarOs. IF an intent was there to wipe someone out, I'd say more likely, it would be Canopy. But I don't even think that intent was the purpose.. Giving WISPs better prices helps them grow their businesses, and compete with the commodity huge volume competitors. Trango wants large volume and sees the potential a low cost CPE can do to acheive that. StarOS/Mikrotik systems, still have their advantages for many purposes. For example, flexibilty, routing, and multi-radio units, Mesh, etc. With Mini-PCI 900 comming more applications will arise. Smaller cells don't necessarilly require Polling systems to perform well.

But for Trango WISPs. This low CPE pricing is a tremendous advantage. Its is an advantage for any WISPs that uses a master cell site model, and wants to deploy quickly wide scale without the hassle of piecing togeather the equipment, and/or does not have the staff with the expertise of putting the gear togeather. With Trango you just take it out of the box and go. With a consistent interface through the product line.

Well I might have been a little quick on the consistent interface, as the models do have little differences in syntax, but they are working to improve that.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Koskenmaki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] TRANGO- changes history

Man if I only had a $75 CPE, I could... Be dreaming? Sorry, Tom, I had to
do that.

It's great to see a decent product hit the $150 level.

It's not going to "lure" me away from my staros yet. It may, however, end
up being deployed if the AP turns out to be affordable for those smaller
cells. If I can put up a 2-4 mile across cell (using omni, not sector) and
sell 5Mbit connections to 10 to 20 people per cell...  It might be less
costly than my star-os system. I am not yet prepared to give up on routing
at the cpe end for normal installs.

North East Oregon Fastnet, LLC 509-593-4061
Fast Internet, NO WIRES!
-
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom DeReggi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>